We are exposed to mold spores through a variety of channels in our homes, schools, and workplaces. It is likely that they will attach themselves to your pet’s coat as well as clothing and shoes. By opening doors and windows, or by turning on the air conditioning or heating, spores can enter.
Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys atra, is one of the most common varieties of indoor mold.
Mold needs moisture to grow. Environments that are damp and humid are particularly conducive to mold growth. There is also a risk of mold growth in poorly ventilated areas.
Mold can grow in several indoor areas, including:
- damp bathrooms or kitchens that have drippy faucets or leaking pipes
- damp basements
- damp carpet
- wet paper
- fireplace wood
- damp ceiling tiles or drywall
- potted plants
- condensation on windowsills
- washing machines and dishwashers
A variety of personal items can also harbor mold, including sponges, lunchboxes, thermoses, and sippy cups.