The extent of adverse respiratory symptoms in children is directly correlated with the extent of living in a mold-affected environment, according to research from around the world. Mold spores inhalation can cause a variety of respiratory problems that mimic seasonal allergies in young children:
- A feeling of shortness of breath;
- Excessive wheezing;
- Nasal congestion;
- An itchy nose;
- Congestion of the nasal passages;
- Throat infection;
- Various other flu-like symptoms.
Mold spores can trigger asthma attacks more frequently and exacerbate chronic lung disease in children.
Despite the fact that all molds in the home can cause allergic symptoms, the most dangerous type for children is the toxic black mold ( Stachybotrys chartarum). These fungi produce mycotoxins that can be especially dangerous to kids and even cause death in some cases. As a result of black mold mycotoxins, you might feel irritation and burning in your nasal cavity, mouth, and throat. Mycotoxins can cause severe breathing difficulties and bleeding in the lungs if they get lodged in the mucus membranes, sinuses, or lungs.
Children exposed to mold in the early years of life may suffer serious health complications as a result. The risk of hemorrhagic pneumonia and subsequent death among infants is greatly increased by prolonged black mold exposure.